07 November 2005

Today I met Cindy and Fernando...

...Cindy Sheehan and Fernando Suarez del Solar, that is. Two of the most recognizable leaders of today's anti-war movement...two regular people who, after losing sons in Bush's war, have drawn international attention by rallying against the president and against the war. Cindy and Fernando were featured guests at a rally put on by AM1360, San Diego's Air America station, this morning.

There's something about seeing this kind of event, these kinds of people in person that is just not captured by seeing it on TV (or reading it on the Internet...). As I stood 30 feet from Cindy and Fernando - and then as I just looked at them, absorbing the real them with my eyes - I felt an unmistakable deepening of sympathy for their pain. I also felt a new appreciation for their work.

I got a chance to thank Fernando, and to shake his hand. I got a chance to say hello to Cindy, who gave me a hug - a strong hug. Today, Bush's war got a little more real.