04 November 2005

Al Franken's got a new book out...

...it's called The Truth - With Jokes, and today his promotion tour stopped in San Diego, where he broadcasted live from the new House of Blues in the Gaslamp Quarter. My folks had picked up an extra ticket for me, and with a full house of a few hundred other like-minded people, we laughed a lot during Franken's 3-hour show. (One choice line: after joking about how Harriet Miers had said Bush "is the most intelligent person I've ever met," Franken dryly added that, strangely, Samuel Alito has not yet made the same observation.)

From a business standpoint, the event placed me in a bit of a predicament. I knew Franken would attract a bunch of fiesty liberals, who would certainly seem to be potential purchasers of Wavelength shirts. But I had no idea if the event's layout would accomodate any shirt sales, and I doubted that the House of Blues would some let me sell shirts at their venue anyway, so I decided to just attend and enjoy. When we got there and I saw a huge line of people waiting to get in, and I realized I probably missed an opportunity. I had a few Wavelength stickers on hand, which my mom helped me distribute. I noted that at the next event like this I would bring dozens of stickers and be ready to work the crowd.