10 November 2005

Election results are in...

...and they are mostly good, in my opinion. All of the statewide propositions were defeated, and the loss that hit our Governor hard: he had hoped the voters would take his side on issues that he couldn't work out with the state legislature, but no dice.

On a down note, Donna Frye - the unconventional surfshop owner/ environmentalist/city councilwoman pictured at right - lost the San Diego mayoral race. I liked Donna's "for the people" platform, and I had done a little last-minute volunteering for her campaign, so I was sorry to see the election go to her opponent, Jerry Sanders. Sanders is part of the same crowd that brought us our city's last two mayors, who presided over the city's descent into financial crisis...I hope he can turn things around.

I'm still very happy I got out there and volunteered for Frye's campaign. I now have a feel for what "getting out the vote" is all about, and I look forward to helping other campaigns in the future. And on election day, when I checked in at Donna's volunteer headquarters as part of my poll-checking work, Donna herself came in, gave a great pep talk, and even sat down at my table and said hello. That was definitely cool.