27 June 2005

The website can now take orders...

...and though I don't have all the product shots incorporated yet, it's pretty much ready to go. I placed a couple of orders myself - one from the PC at the local library - to make sure everything works like it should. The order came into my inbox, I approved it and submitted it to the credit card processing company, and in a day or two the charge showed up on my online credit card bill...so it looks good.

When I get an order from a regular customer, the charge will appear on their card within a day or two after I process their order - but I won't actually be paid for a couple of weeks, as their credit card company pays my credit card processing company, who in turn pays me. And the amount I get won't be the full amount the customer paid...instead, I'll receive that amount less the commissions of the credit card company, the processor, and SBC/Yahoo, which total about 4%. I've shopped around a bit, but for a small operator like me, this slice seems to be a standard cost of doing business online.