30 June 2005

Google, Google, Google...

...the more I work with this company, the more I respect it. A programmer friend of mine told me he has "a man-crush" on Google because they're so ahead of the game, and as a Google advertiser, I'm starting to agree.

My friend Tomas, who works for a cell phone rental company here in San Diego, put me on to Google advertising and explained how it works. If you have a product that people will search for on the Internet - a product like "anti-bush shirts" for example - you can pay Google to show your site when people search for "anti-bush shirts" or "anti-bush clothing" or "anti-bush gear." Your site will show up on the right hand side of Google's results page, as a sponsored link.

But it's not just search engine users who will see your link. You can also have your website mentioned in Google ads, which many webmasters include on their sites to earn extra revenue. So not only would people searching for "anti-bush shirts" see your link...the link would also be featured in Google ads on anti-bush websites, on t-shirt websites, and on other sites that are somehow related to "anti-bush" or "shirt" or both. And you only pay Google for people who actually click through to your site and check out your goods.

I'll talk more about Google in future posts. For now, I've signed up with them and activated my account, so I expect my website to start seeing some traffic.