20 October 2005

Using a bike for much of my getting around...

...means I'm often on the bike path along the south shore of the San Diego River, a manmade inlet of the Pacific that passes right by Ocean Beach. I see some interesting things on this bike path - most notably my fellow bikers. The other day, I rode by an old guy who had steered his bike to the side of the path to whistle and wave at someone on the other side of the river. As I got closer I realized he was also gazing through a pair of handlebar-mounted binoculars at the someone: a large bird perched on a lightpost on the opposite shore. I couldn't tell if the bird was returning his greeting.

Another interesting sight first caught my eye about six months ago, on my first trip down the bike path after starting up Wavelength Clothing. Someone had set up a ladder and a few dried-out palm fronds in what looked to me like a pelican, just lifting off from the water into flight.

I've passed the sculpture probably 100 times since, and it's still standing, though some days it looks a little worse for wear. I'm curious to see how long it's going to hold up.