04 May 2005

So why Wavelength Clothing...

...why did I choose that name? Well, first of all, it was available, which I confirmed as well as I feasibly could by searching the Federal Trademark Database, the California Secretary of State's trademark database (which, oddly, you search by phone - 2 names per call), and search engines like Google and Yahoo.

In general, I didn't think I should go with a name that actually mentioned Bush or otherwise anchored the company to something ephemeral. Eventually, I hope to move beyond anti-Bush shirts to other messages, including more positive ones, so the name's got to offer flexibility and timelessness, while at the same time capturing a key element of the company's identity.

My first preference, Remarkable Clothing, was taken by a company in Malaysia, which is far away geographically but, in the Internet age, might as well be down the street. I ended up going with Wavelength Clothing. I like it because my shirt designs will always be on a similar wavelength - one of peace, justice, and progress - and I think my customers will be on that wavelength, too. For the logo, I put the name of the company's website in the Airstream font, above a sketch of one wavelength of the sine curve. With that, the whole name thing was done!