02 August 2005

Those referrals from Google ain't free, of course...

...they cost me 10cents each. And that might not sound like much, but it adds up when you're getting 8000 referrals a month.

Google's pricing system is worth mentioning - it's a great example of how the company does things so right. OK, so I've signed up for the website to be listed as a sponsored link when people search for "anti-Bush t-shirts" and similar phrases. But there are other people signed up for the same thing...how does Google decide who gets to be at the top of the list? Simple: we each set the maximum level we're willing to pay per click - and the highest bidder gets the top spot, with the 2nd highest getting slot #2, and so on.

When setting your bid, you can see the max bid and beat it or come in right behind it, which I was doing for a little while. But I was paying an average of 25cents a click and quickly coming up against my daily spending limit of $25. So I turned all my bids down to 10cents, Google's minimum. The next full day, I got 250 clicks for $25 instead of the 100 clicks I had been getting before. This shows how many people are doing anti-Bush related searches and looking at anti-Bush related content on the Google network...enough to allow Google to throw me an extra 150 daily visitors without batting a virtual eyelash. (Update on 22 Sept 2005: apparently the "black box" nature of the AdWords program troubles some users.)

BTW, I just learned what the dime's decorations symbolize: the torch is light or enlightenment, the olive branch is peace, and the oak branch is strength. The other side of the dime bears the image of a man who annoyed the living hell out of the conservatives of his era: Franklin Delano Roosevelt.