25 August 2005

A less-than-great day today...

...I tried out the North Park Farmer’s Market and came away empty, selling no shirts. This market had maybe 10% of OB's foot traffic, so I won't be back.

A guy selling French crepes (which always strike me as their version of the burrito) was next to me and he was cool. I kept getting strange looks from a guy selling some kind of makeup across they way, though. Later, when I watched the guy drive away after the market closed, I counted 5 pro-Bush bumper stickers on the back of his truck...so that probably explains the evil eye!

On the way home, I stopped to fill up my gas tank, noting that I was out not just the market's $15 fee, but also the couple of gallons of gas required to get there and back. I realized that gas was a pretty significant part of the costs of selling things at markets outside of Ocean Beach, and that increases in gas prices could put a significant dent in the business's profits.