29 July 2005

First day at the OB Farmer's Market...

...which goes from 4pm to 8pm every Wednesday on Newport Avenue, Ocean Beach's main street. At right is a picture of the arts & crafts section of the market getting started on a recent Wednesday afternoon.

It went pretty well. I set up a beach canopy I had in my garage, hung a bunch of shirts from it, and vended my wares, selling
6 shirts in four hours. Revenue from the sales totaled about $100, and the fee for the space was $25, so I took in about $75 in cash flow.

More importantly, I learned two big new things about the business. One was that several people reacted very positively to the shirts, and some of these people were willing to buy them. I hadn't had the shirts on display in front of potential buyers before, and I the response I got was encouraging. Hell, I could have been shutout, without a single buyer...that would have been a bad sign, but it didn't come to pass.

The other new thing I learned involved the equipment and supplies I need to do this kind of selling in the future. My buddy Marcus was kind enough to go with me, so I had help solving a couple problems, like not bringing enough hangers. But after I pick up a few new pieces of equipment (such as a new canopy - my current one is hard to set up and also looks shabby), it will be quite possible to setup and run the booth on my own, which I expect to do at the OB Farmers' Market and other settings over the next few months.