04 January 2006

I haven't yet talked about gay marriage...

...but as you might suspect, I think all adults should be able to get married, to any other adult they want. Larry David shares this sentiment, as he notes in a great op-ed the New York Times ran on New Year's Day. Nonetheless, Larry's a bit hesitant to go see the gay cowboy movie, Brokeback Mountain:

Who's to say I won't become enamored with the whole gay business? Let's face it, there is some appeal there. I know I've always gotten along great with men. I never once paced in my room rehearsing what to say before asking a guy if he wanted to go to the movies. And I generally don't pay for men, which of course is their most appealing attribute.

And gay guys always seem like they're having a great time. At the Christmas party I went to, they were the only ones who sang. Boy that looked like fun. I would love to sing, but this weighty, self-conscious heterosexuality I'm saddled with won't permit it.

Another celebrity who caught my eye recently is David Letterman. He just had Bill O'Reilly on his show and went after the right wing
pundit with a passion. In addition to bombing O'Reilly with personal zingers like "I have the feeling that about 60 percent of what you say is crap," Letterman was adamant in defending Cindy Sheehan and also made no bones about wondering what the hell we're doing in Iraq. You can see snippets of this interview here (though the link might not work after a few days).