30 April 2005

Today was my last day at work...

...or at least my last day working at my old job. My 6-person work group had already had a teambuilding event planned at San Diego's Wild Animal Park, and the event became a kind of a send-off for me. It was nice. At a monkey enclosure, I snapped the shot at left, where one monkey seems to be taking a time-out as the rest of the crew carries on with the hunting and gathering or whatever. "I know what you're feeling, buddy," I thought. "I'm ready for a time-out myself."

I made the decision to leave several months ago, and I have watched excitedly as April 29 has drawn closer and closer on the calendar. In the preceding year, I have grown increasingly dissatisfied with my job, both because of changes in it and changes in me. Overall, however, my 5 years with this firm have been good ones.

With pleasure, I bid farewell to certain aspects of the job I had come to despise. With sincerity, I bid farewell to my co-workers. With some trepidation, I bid farewell to paychecks, which arrived twice monthly with a consistency that one could build his or her life around.